Pages

Friday 1 July 2011

Heaven


Heaven.  It has got to be my most favorite topic ever.  I hope it isn't just me that gets excited by the thought.  

However exciting this topic is, it is also really convicting for me.  Remember the verse in Mathew 6?  

'Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.' (Mathew 6:19 ESV)

Hmmm.... that pretty much means that I should stop concentrating on getting the latest and greatest stuff down here.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear.  I know that if you have grown up in Christian family with all the teaching you would've heard about not wanting all the trappings of this world but let's get real.  As teenagers, no as humans, we desire for the latest thing that will make our lives better.  That incredible new ipod, the perfect hair, the most fashionable clothes, fancy cars, the perfect boyfriend/girlfriend... the list can go on forever.   I know that my heart longs after these things often, but look at the verse.  'Store up your treasures in heaven.'  I have often almost knocked myself out trying to get my head around concepts like; eternity, perfect, and often, heaven.  These things are so huge for my tiny little human brain to comprehend, that I feel dizzy trying to figure them out. 

I am a deep thinker.  I like to know all the details about how things are going to work, and not wanting to boast, I'm fairly quick at catching on to things.  But in all my pride all God has to do is whisper something to me, plant a thought, so simple that a child could grasp it, in my head, and all that pride comes crashing down at the foot of the cross.  

I was lying in bed the other night and this little heavenly whisper came to me. 

Heaven is waking up to real life.  

Down here on earth we get so caught up in what is happening around us, all the drama and heartbreak.  But think.... if this life is drop, then eternity is the ocean.  I want to be popular here on earth, but in reality, where would I rather be popular?  Here, for a couple of years?  Or in heaven next to Jesus for eternity, forever?  Umm.... that is a no brainer. 

So here is the challenge, what will you sacrifice to gain everything?  Is it your pride?  Is it the popularity?  Is it the beauty you are always running after?  I can assure you, that if you know Jesus personally you won't regret it.  

Walk with Jesus my friends!   

No comments:

Post a Comment