Pages

Friday 21 November 2014

Neglected Knowledge

This is my first blog post in a really long time, and I feel that so much has changed from when I last posted.

I am reading through Proverbs at the moment, and as always it is taking me a really long time to progress.  I started Proverbs last week and I am currently in chapter three! But the reason for the lag is not a negative one.  No, instead it is the glorious hesitation that comes with savoring a fantastic meal.  You want every bite to leave it's impression permanently on your taste buds so you wait between every bite.  Every time I go to read I am caught by something anew.  What is it this time? What so captured my attention that I got my computer out at 11:00 PM in order to write it in a blog?  It is this thought; has the focus on wisdom that is so emphasized in teachings about Proverbs overshadowed the command to "get knowledge".  I'm not saying to elevate the "getting of knowledge" to a point where the gospel becomes all head knowledge. No, I am wondering if maybe we have overlooked the value in knowledge and understanding.

Proverbs 2:6 says this; "For the LORD gives wisdom, from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Over and over in Proverbs there is the exhortation to "get wisdom".  But more often than not along with this command is this; "gain understanding" or "get knowledge".  In my experience the modern western church emphasizes so emphatically the wisdom.  My interpretation of this until so recently has been of this saying is to feel the guidance and leading of the Lord in a tangible way.  When I read the command to "get wisdom" in isolation from the "get knowledge" I am left with a sentimental hope that somehow knowledge will fall from heaven into my life.  What if by ignoring the "get knowledge" I am actually ignoring the entire way that I can "get wisdom"?  Such an emphasis in the church is in airy fairy faith.  But maybe the way that we can firmly bank this faith, firmly root this wisdom is by studying. Maybe by studying the word, studying books, opening our eyes to the worldviews surrounding us, maybe then we shall finally gain wisdom.

I have been taking a large interest in Philosophy recently and studying and pondering metaphysics.  In a book that I am reading called 'Saving Leonardo' the author (Nancy Pearcy) calls for a new way of constructing our faith.  This "radical" way of viewing faith is by coming from a wholistic standpoint.  In the entire story of the gospel there has been intense spiritual parallels displayed in very physical events.  In the original Passover the gospel was connected by showing Jesus as the lamb slain.  In the testing of Abraham in sacrificing his son there is the spiritual parallel of the Father God sacrificing his son.  All throughout the bible there is two intertwining stories, that of the physical and that of the spiritual.  These two stories are so closely woven together that everything begins to have spiritual significance.  Therefore, if God is wholistic, if He is in the sciences as well as in the arts then most surely He is the gaining of knowledge as well as the gaining of wisdom.  He has set up a way that we can expand our wisdom by physically studying here on earth.  Please do not misunderstand me.  I am not claiming that just by studying we can obtain godly wisdom.  This would be an absurd claim, all wisdom and knowledge comes from God as Proverbs claims.  All I am proposing is maybe the church should start encouraging real thought, real study and celebrate the intellectuals, rather than shying away from that person as being a head person as opposed to the heart person.  We need both, and we all individually need to strive for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment